Friday, March 15, 2013

Thankful Six

Today I went out for my run after work like any other day. I was planning on doing a speedy six (race pace). I got my Garmin on, turned on my running mix on my iPhone, put the iPhone and car keys in my little running belt, and got ready to start. About 5 steps into the run the music cut out. Normally I would have stopped, figured out what was wrong, and got the jams pumping again, but today I decided to forego the tunes.

Last night at Growth Group we talked about the sermon from this weekend (Mike taught in BIG church and did an AMAZING job). We were all really struck with being called to be people that pray before, during, and after! We shouldn't just pray when we want things, but also be people of thanksgiving, constantly praising God for what He has done and what he is doing. [[PS Feel free to watch the sermon here]]

A picture from Growth Group last night (we were celebrating a birthday), but missing 3 folks. 
As soon as my music cut out I thought, 'I'm gonna use this 6 miles and spend it in prayer.' So I spent the 52 minutes thanking God for things in my life - whether it be people, opportunities, abilities, trials, etc. I  decided right away that I was going to focus on my praise, not on my time, not on my running, just on giving the glory to God. And low-and-behold I still kicked booty on my time. My average pace was 8:40 (pretty much BEATING my race pace I was originally shooting for).



It was an amazing run!! I need to unplug more often... By the way, when I got back to my car, I realized when I was putting my iPhone into my belt I unplugged the headphones slightly, which is why the music stopped. But since I don't believe in coincidences, I think it was just God's way of giving me a little nudge to spend that time with Him at His feet.

No comments: