Friday, October 18, 2013

Escondido 5K Pumpkin Run

Last weekend was the WEEKEND OF 5Ks! If you missed it, on Saturday Ryan and I participated in The Color Run down in San Diego at Qualcomm Stadium. Then on Sunday we ran in the Escondido Recreation's 4th Annual 5K Pumpkin Run. [A friend from a former Growth Group works for Escondido Recreation and invited us to the event.]


The Pumpkin Run definitely had a 'local' feel to it. Most of the races I have done have all been fairly large (most of them either themed or through runDisney), so this one was a fun change of pace. It was also a trail run, which was different than what I was used to, but a great change of scenery.



Ryan wanted to get a PR (personal record), but my body had been hurting lately due to my fibromyalgia, so I knew I wasn't going to be able to go all out and just wanted to finish with a smile on my face.

Ry and I pre-race. 

RYAN ROCKED THE RACE!! He ended up finishing in 25:35 - WHICH IS AMAZING!! I ended up finishing just slightly under 29 minutes (the hills, uneven terrain, lack of sleep and BODY PAIN definitely threw my game off a bit, but obviously the course didn't phase the Ruggedwoodsman :) ).

Maybe I should have given the watch to Ry... 

Walt The Wiener Dog even made it out to the event!! They were having a costume contest for the pups, but Walt told us that he was too distinguished to join in on the tom-foolery, so he just decided to join TEAM ORANGE.

Who doesn't love photo booth props?! Walt looked a little disgusted with our shenanigans... 

And last but not least, a few pre-race pictures of me with the Pumpkin Man. The first one Ryan was trying to take the picture and coral Walt at the same time so that he wouldn't chase after the other dogs, hence the funny face by me and blurry bottom half of the pic. The second one was a re-try with a volunteer taking the shot.



We had a great time (even though my finishing time was less than stellar and got me in a funk for a little bit afterwards - sad but true) and are planning on coming back next year. Shoot - maybe Walt will be able to work up to running a 5K and can RUN it with us next year.

Do you prefer local runs? Or is your motto the bigger the better? 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This race looks like it was a ton of fun! I love the starting line and it looks like you had a great time. Great finishing time!

TheMiddleClassMom said...

That pumpkin man is hilarious! Glad you guys had fun :) and thanks for your support on the costume contest.