Monday, November 10, 2014

Motivational Mondays: Krissy Murphy

By now you hopefully know the drill. I started this blog series three weeks ago (Week #1 - Run EMZ, Week #2 - Kat of Katrina Elle, and now you are caught up) because I have some amazing folks in my life and I want to showcase them a bit. They encourage me on the daily, so I figured why not spread the love and help motivate others (especially on Mondays).

I first met Krissy of Shiawase Life during the 2013 Dumbo Double Dare weekend, but had been following her on social media for a while before then. She has such a positive energy it is hard not to smile when you are around her (not to mention when we first met we got to chat about puppies - who wouldn't love that?!). 


Since then she has become my friend and running coach! She is currently helping me train for the Phoenix Marathon (and the other 12 races between now and February - including the Dopey Challenge, where I will get to run the Marathon alongside her and Megan... We may or may not have a group costume up our sleeves ;)). I absolutely love her heart for helping others (whether that is through running, raising money for charities, or being a supportive ear for those around her).

Without further ado, LET'S HEAR ABOUT KRISSY!

  • When did the running bug first bite you? What is your running story? 

I started running in the summer of 2010 - it was funny, really...I downloaded the Couch to 5K app on my iPhone and thought it would be a great goal to aspire to. With that initial program, I was running three times a week, but after about three weeks, I wanted to keep running! Now, this was very shocking to not only me, but those around me as well because I had previously not been able to even run three minutes without being winded - and there I was, going on for 20 minutes or more!

I bumped it up to four times a week, finished my program early, and rocked my first 5K race with a 27 minute finish time, shattering the 30-minute goal that I had dreamed of at the beginning! The rest, I suppose, you can say, is history! 

  • How do you balance it all (especially since most of us have other 9-5 jobs, families, friends, commitments, etc)? [PS What is your full time job?]

Just like anything else important to me, I am sure to prioritize running. Even though it's not my job, it is a part of it, as I do work as an online running coach, and serve as a mentor for a local running store. I add my runs to my calendars, and make sure that they don't fall off the agenda :)

  • What does your training/ routine look like?

Since 2011, I have been on a bit of a marathon training kick, essentially cycling one training program into another (I've run 10 marathons since my first 26.2, the Richmond Marathon, in November 2011). Of course, I take time off, or cycle down between each race to take time for recovery, but in a regular training week, I'll run 5-6 days a week, and supplement that with some core and weight training.

  • If you could impart one piece of advice/ wisdom for someone starting their running journey, what would it be?

"One step at a time" - and "we all started somewhere." Although some are born with inherent talents and abilities, I do firmly believe that nothing beats good ol' fashioned hard work. One of my favorite running quotations is a metaphor for life: "you get what you put into it."

  • What is one of your recent accomplishments you are most proud of?

I am so proud of my No Boundaries participants that just completed their goal races (5K and 5M) this past weekend. As part of our local running store, we assisted a group of about 25 runners through a 10 week program - and everyone, from beginner, to novice - all enjoyed very successful races! It's an incredible feeling to help someone realize just how awesome they are.



  • What are some of your favorites (i.e. foods, workouts, fuels, gear, etc)? Anything you can't live without (other than running and oxygen of course ;))?

Favorites? Oh I have tons!! Foods - chocolate. Cupcakes. Frozen Custard...can you tell I have a sweet tooth?? Hah! But really, I am a fan of the after workout chocolate milk, especially after completing my favorite speed work ritual, Yasso 800's or my favorite running workout, the LONG RUN (which is fueled by my favorite fuel - Salted Caramel GU). Other favorites include Oiselle apparel (I am a proud member of the Volee racing team) and Brooks Running shoes. And for races, nothing beats the fun and whimsy of Sparkle Athletic skirts - especially at my favorite endurance events (runDisney).

  • If you could do it all over again, is there anything you would change?

NOTHING. Life is too short to regret anything.


  • And don't forget your Social Media links - how can we follow you?

shiawaselife.com / twitter - @krissymmurphy / instagram - @krissycakes13

Now just try and tell me she isn't AWESOMESAUCE... You can't do it! So with that being said, if you don't follow her on Social Media, you better add her NOW so she can keep you encouraged and motivated!

What do you think? Are you as excited about these Monday posts as I am? Did I leave out any questions you would have asked? 

No comments: