Monday, November 17, 2014

Motivational Mondays: Christina, The Athletarian

Week 4 and the AWESOMENESS isn't slowing down (just like this next runner!)! [Week 1: RunEMZ, Week 2: Kat of Katrina Elle, and Week 3: Krissy of Shiawase Life.]

I first "found" Christina through Emily (RunEMZ) on Instagram. The two of them seemed to share an amazing bond and I knew if she was golden in Emily's book then she was definitely a wonderful woman (and one I wanted to stalk follow)! A speedy, veggie, Canadian, chips and salsa lovin' girl?! I WANNA BE HER FRIEND (and I am sure you will want to be as well!)!

  • When did the running bug first bite you? What is your running story?

I first started running in university as a way to stay healthy and fit.  Sitting in lecture halls for hours can make you go crazy so I used running as an outlet to shake out some stress and break up my day.  It was surprising to discover that I actually enjoyed running and sweating wasn’t the most horrible thing in the world [if there was a Most Inactive Student Award, I would have won it every year until I was about 18].  I signed up for my first 10K race in 2005 and loved it.  Since then I have run several races, from the 5K to the full marathon distance.  I think it’s pretty safe to say that what started out as a hobby has turned into a full-blown [healthy] addiction.


  • How do you balance it all (especially since most of us have other 9-5 jobs, families, friends, commitments, etc)? [PS What is your full time job?]

I am currently working as a substitute teacher though I do work every day (most weeks).  I am usually home by 3:30pm at the latest and I am not married, nor do I have any children, so I probably have a lot more time to train than most people - haha!  I still try and get my runs/workouts done in the morning before work (at 5am) when I can so that my evenings are free to do blog work, walk my dog, cook, etc.

  • What does your training/ routine look like?

I run 4-5 times a week but don’t have a set schedule as things often come up during the week.  I make sure to get in at least one long run (usually on Sundays), a tempo run, a track workout, and one or two easier/shorter runs each week.


  • If you could impart one piece of advice/ wisdom for someone starting their running journey, what would it be?

Don’t give up.  There was a time that I couldn’t even make it half a mile without stopping to catch my breath.  Some runs are going to suck all the life out of you and you will consider quitting.  Don’t.  Keep pushing, track your progress, celebrate small victories.  Set goals and work towards them.  I promise you - once you reach those goals there is NO better feeling.

  • What is one of your recent accomplishments you are most proud of?

I recently set a new half marathon PR of 1:41.  I had been working to break my previous PR of 1:44 for a few years so crossing that finish line knowing that I had done it was a pretty proud moment!


  • What are some of your favorites (i.e. foods, workouts, fuels, gear, etc)? Anything you can't live without (other than running and oxygen of course ;))? 

Mizuno running shoes, PRO Compression socks, any and all Vega products, and burritos.

  • If you could do it all over again, is there anything you would change?

Not a thing.  Everyone’s running journey is so different and we get to where we are based on all the choices we make a long the way.  I am happy with how I got to where I am and can’t wait to see what happens next!


  • And don't forget your Social Media links - how can we follow you?

Blog: theathletarian.com
IG: @the_athletarian
Twitter: @TheAthletarian
FB: facebook.com/TheAthletarian

I cannot wait to meet Christina (in real life) in Phoenix in just a few short months (which reminds me... HAVE YOU ENTERED THE GIVEAWAY FOR A FREE ENTRY TO THE PHOENIX MARATHON?! If not, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?! Hop on over and put your name in the drawing because it is set to be one of the biggest parties in 2015! And the GIVEAWAY ends tomorrow night, so DON'T DELAY!)!

What do you think? Are you as excited about these Monday posts as I am? Did I leave out any questions you would have asked? 

No comments: